An Hour In the Kitchen

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Papaya Peppercorn


My friend Bill once told me that I would have made a great pioneer; I sometimes like to do things the hard way and I don’t like to see anything go to waste. That’s why I was excited to learn that you can use the seeds from a papaya. You can scoop them out and eat them fresh. They are sort of like a caper (though not pickled, but pickling them is an idea). They are spicy and slightly pungent.

You can also turn them into peppercorns. I thought this was very cool. The ground papaya seeds' taste is hard to distinguish from regular black pepper. It’s easy to make and is an exotic pepper alternative.


Scoop out the seeds from a fresh papaya.
Place in warm water and work with hands to remove pulp.
Let soak overnight.
Bake for at 170 (or at the lowest temperature your stove will go) for 60 minutes or until the seeds are hard.
Cool, then place in a pepper grinder and use as you would pepper.

Apparently the seeds have the same good enzymes that the fruit has, so grind away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Papayas are a fabulous food. You can learn more by reading http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/did-you-know-papayas/ and if you're interested in beauty papayas are super handy http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/fyi-beauty-secrets-papayas/ for these recipes.