An Hour In the Kitchen

Friday, November 28, 2008

The New Spinach?


The New York Times called beets the new spinach. According to the article beets are “nutritional powerhouses, high in folate, manganese and potassium.”

My friend Jan has always liked beets. I did not like them until she made them for me once years ago. I thought beets tasted like dirt, but Jan roasted them in orange juice and transformed them into a delicately sweet and only slightly earthy dish. It was a perfect compliment for the pork roast and the cold snowy night.

Recently, Jan further expanded my beet world by telling me that you don’t have to cook beets at all. Grated beets with salt, pepper and lemon juice make an easy, yummy and let’s not forget, uber-healthy salad.

Here’s a version with cabbage (another nutritional powerhouse):

1 large beet or several small ones
1 cup of chopped cabbage
1/4 cup of apple cider or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of grated horseradish (fresh or prepared)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix sugar, vinegar and horseradish.
Grate beets or chop them in food processor.
Toss all ingredients.

Eat up!

2 comments:

sean said...

I wonder if I could get the boys to eat this. They have a hard time getting through my salads, which admittedly are pretty boring affairs of lettuce, green pepper, and some other green thing. If this is a little sweet, that might help.

An Hour In the Kitchen said...

I would add more sugar to the beets for the boys. Have you seen the books about how to sneak vegetables in meals?
Sneaky Veggies: How to Get Vegetables Under the Radar & Into Your Family