An Hour In the Kitchen

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Grilled Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans

Growing up I went through a phase of requesting meat loaf for my birthday dinner. My Grandmother’s recipe with a tangy tomato sauce was the perfect accompaniment for a chilly winter evening. We always had it with mashed potatoes and home-canned green beans. I’ll admit the green beans were not my favorite part. As we were a clean-plate family, I begrudgingly ate the five or so that were put on my plate.

I usually don’t make meat loaf in the summer, mainly because we don’t have air conditioning in our kitchen. Happily I stumbled on a recipe for grilled meatloaf in a magazine (it was a “special advertising section” for a grill). It sparked my imagination to try a family favorite—meat loaf, mash potatoes and green beans—all on the grill.

As luck would have it, my husband and I were in Virginia last weekend visiting family. Who better to try a redux of a family standard?

I believe the first response to my proposed meal was, “That sounds interesting” with “interesting” stretched out and the last syllable raised like a question. Then it was “That will take FOR-EVER” followed by “Have you USED Mom’s grill lately?”

“Pish-posh,” I replied as I mixed the meat with my hands. My sister then began busying herself making her kids a separate meal. I’m not sure if it was taste preference or time concerns. To be fair, the later is legitimate. I’ve been known, to my Mom’s chagrin, to sit down for dinner at 9 or 10 at night.

Mom has a gas grill. The ignition switch has long been broken, but with a quick strike of a match we were off and grilling. I set the heat to medium and carefully set the loafs on the grates and closed the grill. In no time, the bottom of one was chard pitch black. Oops. My sister was right about the grill; apparently it has quite a hot spot. She was also right about the time. Aside from the uber-well-done bottom, the meatloaf was coming along nicely but the potatoes were rock hard. My quick-thinking husband popped them into the microwave then returned them to the grates for a grilled finish.

The green beans were the least trouble, if you don’t count loosing a few through the grill grates. The whole meal was on the table in about an hour. The kids still preferred the cheese quesadillas but the adults were all quite happy with the grilled feast, burnt meat and all.

Grilled Meat Loaf
Adapted from a Weber grill advertisement.

Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef (local and /or grass fed preferred)
1/2 lbs ground pork sausage (local and nitrate-free preferred)
2 slices whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces
1 cup onion, chopped fine
2/3 cup green pepper, chopped
2 eggs
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup ketchup

Method
-In a large bowl, mix ground beef, sausage, bread, onion, green peppers, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, 1/4 cup ketchup, salt and pepper. Mix
well, using your hands is the best way.
- Divide into three loafs.
- Mix the ketchup and barbecue sauce and generously brush each meat loaf with it. Reserve the remaining sauce to serve with the meatloaf.
-Prepare the grill for indirect heat medium-to-medium low heat, about 300ºF. Spray or wipe grates with oil to prevent sticking.
-Gently place the meatloaf onto the grate. I found it easiest to use my hands, but a metal spatula would work also.
-Grill with the lid closed until the interior meat temperature is155ºF or until the juices run clear. This will take around 35-45 minutes. If your grill has a hot spot, watch it and move things around accordingly.
-Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Add the remaining sauce equally on each loaf, cut into 1/2 inch slices and serve with mashed potatoes.

Serves 8



Grilled Mashed Potatoes
These tasted like smoky baked potatoes with all the good stuff on them already.

Ingredients
8-10 medium-large potatoes, washed, skin on (any type will do)
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup of milk
1/4-1/2 cup of plain yogurt or sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
-If potatoes are large, cut in half. Rub each potato with butter and place on in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for five minutes.
- Spray or wipe grates with oil to prevent sticking and prepare for medium heat.
-Close grill lid and roast for about 15 minutes or until soft, turning often.
- Place grilled potatoes in a large bowl and add the remaining butter, yogurt or sour cream, milk, salt and pepper and mash.

Serves 8


Grilled Green Beans
Double this recipe and have grilled beans on hand to toss in a salad.

Ingredients
1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1/8 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method
-In a large bowl, toss beans with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.
- Place beans on medium-hot grill. Set bowl used to mix aside. Grill for about 10 minutes turning them often (try not to loose too many through the grates). The beans should be bright green and slightly charred in spots.
-Return grilled beans to the bowl and toss. Add more olive oil, salt and pepper if needed.
-Serve warm or cold.

No comments: