An Hour In the Kitchen

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rhubarb Sorbet


*******
This first appeared in the Register Star and Daily Mail.
*******

I was very excited when Otto from Otto’s Market gave me a big bunch of rhubarb. I had been asking him every week whether his rhubarb was ready. Finally it was. Spring is here indeed! The stalks were a beautiful crimson and green. I was especially happy about the windfall because the rhubarb I planted last year in my shady backyard is currently all leaves and no stalk…not what you want in rhubarb (see below).

I love rhubarb for two reasons. One, I love anything tart, and rhubarb is indeed tart. Two, I love it because it’s unexpected. Botanically, rhubarb is a vegetable but it is used like a fruit. It looks like celery, but sure doesn’t taste like it.

To prepare, wash well, cut the tops and bottoms off (as you would with celery). The leaves are mildly toxic, so don’t eat them! (Yes, this is why my rhubarb plant is rather unfortunate). You’ll notice that it has a stringy outer layer. If you chop it finely, there is no need to peel this layer but you can peel it if the stalk is particularly thick.

Whenever I see rhubarb at the market, I pick up enough to make a few dishes now and extra to freeze (wash and chop before freezing). There is nothing better than a spring-like pie in the dead of winter!

Rhubarb Sorbet
This is a nice refreshing sorbet with a pretty dark pink color. The tartness of rhubarb and sweetness of strawberries is a classic combination. The fresh mint adds a refreshing layer. This sorbet is more sweet than tart. Adjust the sugar to taste. If you want a light and fluffy sorbet, whip an egg white and fold it into the mixture before freezing.

Ingredients
2 cups water
1 cups sugar
3-4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1/4 cup sliced strawberries
5-10 fresh mint leaves plus extra for garnish

Method
-Combine the water, sugar, rhubarb, strawberries in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.
-Add the mint leaves.
- Refrigerate and let cool completely.
-Puree in a blender.
-Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn until frozen (note, if you don’t have an ice cream maker, place mixture in lidded container and freeze.



Boo & Bing: Not ready for their close-up

No comments: