An Hour In the Kitchen

Monday, March 30, 2009

Homemade Ketchup


Ketchup is one of those condiments that doesn’t excite me but it is very much required for my hamburgers and French fries. Homemade ketchup changed this myopic view. It has a wonderful, complex flavor and you can make endless variations. Knowing me, I will most likely never make the same version twice.

This version is made with strained tomatoes, so the cooking time is short. In the summer I hope to try it again with fresh tomatoes. (I can’t wait for tomato season!)

I large can or box of strained tomatoes (I use Pomi in a box, which is 26.5 oz)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 small onion
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup carrots
1 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Saute the garlic, onions and carrots in olive oil until soft.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Let cool.
Puree in a blender.
Store in the fridge.

Let me know if you come up with any interesting variations!

No comments: